Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dancing in the streets

The question of Prop 8 is still unanswered as I write this, but it doesn't look great -- 52.5% to 47.5% with 24% of precincts reporting. That doesn't really answer anything, but a lot of people seem to have the attitude of "I don't dare have that much hope."

But that hasn't stopped people from dancing in the streets on Castro Street.


We hung around the house until McCain gave his concession speech, then we headed out to where all the noise was. The block of Castro from 17th to 18th was closed to traffic, but not many people were wandering around as yet. Mostly, people were crowding into Moby Dick and The Midnight Sun and The Bar on Castro and especially Harvey's to watch Obama's acceptance speech.

Meanwhile, people were setting up a makeshift stage and projection TV. It took them quite a while to get it set up, but they finally got Channel 4's news up on the screen, and they started playing music. Just like Halloween, television helicopters have been circling the Castro all evening (total Los Angeles deja vu twice in five days).

So at least for now, there's a party going on. Not having to see Sarah Palin or John McCain or Cindy McCain on a daily basis is something worth celebrating. It is now safe to go back to the gym (where CNN is always on, always unavoidable, and always seems like it has been giving a lot more air time to Palin/McCain than to Obama/Biden).

Oh, yeah. P.S.

I have to confess something.

On my way to the doctor this morning, I found a small stack of "Yes on 8" flyers that someone had left on MUNI. I picked them up just in case I got the opportunity to return them to their rightful owner. But, unfortunately, I lost my grip on them, and they fell into a recycling bin.

It was an accident. I swear.

[UPDATE Midnight: The helicopters seem to gone home for the night. Here's hoping they don't come back for a long, long time.]

No comments: