Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ho-ly crap!

We just got back from a minor shopping trip. I just wanted to pick up a couple of things at the grocery store.

Apparently, so did everyone else in San Francisco.

Traffic was horrifyingly constant and aggressive -- no way to consider turning left ever, except at traffic lights.

We tried two different Safeways. We circled the parking lots (or "contained traffic jams") without ever finding parking. While Chip circled the parking lot in the VW, I went into the second one (Church and Market). The checkout lines stretched halfway down every grocery aisle. I gave up and came home. I don't need Diet Coke badly enough to stand in a checkout line for 45 minutes in order to get it. I'll pay a little extra at the corner store, or I'll wait until tomorrow, when Safeway will be less crowded.

After such a light holiday shopping season, I was absolutely unprepared for this. It was the last thing I expected to see. This is unquestionably the worst traffic (indoor or outdoor) that I've seen in months, if not years.

Sheesh!

No comments: