Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mirrormask on Blu-ray

I missed this one when it happened. I only noticed it in Best Buy last week.

"Mirrormask" has been released on Blu-ray. According to Amazon, it was released on November 18.

We subscribed to Netflix concurrently with our getting a Blu-ray player. Something about having a Blu-ray player puts me in a state of mind where I am less likely to buy something on disc.

I used to have the attitude that paying $20 for a DVD was cheaper than two people going to the theater to see the same movie, and buying meant that you didn't ahve to worry about the title being checked out at the video store.

But the advent of Blu-ray is just that one step too far -- Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, HD-DVD and now Blu-ray. I mean, just how many copies of "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane" do I need to buy in one lifetime?

And you do have to store these discs somewhere. A small San Francisco apartment is not ideal for owning a large library.

So if I buy something these days, it needs to be pretty darn special (with the possible exception of "The Dark Knight," which I figured would be good as a demo disc).

"Mirrormask" is visually very rich. If you like Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, then this is your movie (but if you like them, you probably already know about "Mirrormask"). It's Gaiman's take on "Labyrinth." Literally. The film is produced by the Jim Henson Company, and it is intended to be a companion film for "Labyrinth."
And Stephanie Leonidas is really wonderful in the lead role.

So you may take this as a recommendation.

No comments: