Thursday, May 1, 2008

"The Dirty Canon"


To give credit where credit is due, I heard of this band through Boing Boing. Cory was wildly enthusiastic about the album. I am not as completely bowled over as Cory was. I would say that some of the album is really very good, while parts of it don't work quite as well.

The band is Marseille Figs. Their newest album (released last November) is named "The Dirty Canon". Three tracks from the album can be downloaded for free at their website, and two of those ("Low, Low Thing" and "Good Year") are probably my two favorite tracks on the album.

I guess Cory's comparison to Squirrel Nut Zippers comes from the fact that some of the musicians play kind of off key (to my ear, the brass and sax sound mostly self-taught). Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're just that little bit so far off key that it starts to hurt my ears.

The album is also available to download from iTunes and from Amazon. If you want an actual physical CD, you have to order from Amazon.co.uk.

No comments: