Friday, April 3, 2009

Tenuous at best...

I was checking at Netflix just now to see when Sir Ian McKellen's "King Lear" would be available and if it would be on Blu-ray (April 21, and not in the foreseeable future, respectively).

On the page giving the description, I saw this section at the bottom of the page, "MORE LIKE THIS". It recommendations were "Neverwas," "X-Men 3: The Last Stand," "Eighteen" and "Flushed Away." Now, I know that Sir Ian was in two of these, and his voice is in the other two. But, I mean, come on. Let's get real. "If you liked 'King Lear,' you might like 'Flushed Away'?"

So I went digging to see if it would come up with other tenuous "If You Liked...Then You Might Like" double features. Here's what I found in less than ten minutes of searching:

Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather" -- "Hellboy"[1]

"Baby Mama" -- "The Opposite of Sex"

"The Opposite of Sex" -- "Little Miss Sunshine"

"Evita" -- "Not Without My Daughter"

"Show Business: The Road to Broadway" -- "Dogtown and Z-Boys" (Hey, they're both documentaries....)

"Donnie Darko" -- "Proof" (Yeah, I know. Jake Gyllenhall is in both)

"The Kite Runner" -- "Finding Neverland"

"Broadway: The Golden Age" -- "Ronald Reagan: His Life and Legacy"


And the must-see triple feature:

"Not Without My Daughter" -- "The Passion of Joan of Arc" -- "Beaches"


Hmmm... Maybe Netflix needs a more intelligent cross-referencing scheme....

------------------------------------------------------

[1]Okay, as it happens, I really do like both. But I also can say that I like both "Babette's Feast" and "Dawn of the Dead." That doesn't necessarily mean that I like one of them because I like the other one, or just because both movies focus on eating.

No comments: