Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar Eclipse



Lunar Eclipse December 21, 2010

At around 12:40 last night (this morning), I realized it was supposed to be around the time the lunar eclipse should be reaching its peak.  So we went outside and took the video camera.  I honestly did not expect that the camera would be able to pick up anything at all (well, nothing visible or even vaguely in focus).

Much to my surprise, I got a couple of shots of the moon while it was completely red.  So I went back inside and got the humongous zoom lens and a little tabletop tripod.  Then I sat outside on the cold wet driveway (not in the rain, mercifully) for an hour, recording the shadow leaving the moon's surface.

Then I thought I'd quickly splice something together and slap it up on YouTube.  But I figured that speeding up the video would make it a whole lot more interesting.  As it turns out, Premiere takes about one hour to process one minute of fast-motion video.  I finally went to bed around 4 a.m., unable to stay awake any longer.  Then I let it finish rendering everything when I got back up again around noon today.

And that's why I didn't get this video posted on YouTube until around 4:00 this afternoon, more than twelve hours after the eclipse ended.

No comments: