Monday, December 27, 2010

Maggie wants.


The first time Maggie did this, I thought I was going insane.  She was less than six months old, and she was sitting on the desk while I was working on the computer.  I was not paying attention to her (at least, not as much attention as she thought I should be paying to her), and she started this beckoning, fast and frustrated and very, very serious.  It worked.  She got my attention.
Ever since then, this has been her universal sign for "I want."

"I want food."

"I want something that's out of my reach, so bring it to me."

"I want to destroy that thing you just took away from me."

"I want you to pay attention to me."

"I want you to know that I'm feeling lots of free-floating anxiety right now, so make me feel better."

"I just simply want."

We've been trying to get video of this for thirteen years.  But, of course, by the time you get the video camera ready, she has stopped.  Or the act of getting the camera distracts her from what she wants.  But Chip managed to capture this video on his iPhone last night.  Finally.

No comments: